Secretary for Education
Lisa Paul AO PSM is the Secretary of the Commonwealth Department of Education.
The department administers the Commonwealth Government’s interests in early childhood and childcare, schooling, youth affairs, higher education, international education and research.
Lisa has been a Commonwealth Government Chief Executive for nine years. Lisa was Secretary of the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations from 2007 to 2013 and prior to that was Secretary of the Department of Education, Science and Training from 2004 to 2007.
Lisa has more than 20 years public sector experience, including three Deputy CEO roles, which were in the Department of Education, Science and Training; the Department of Family and Community Services; and in the Health Insurance Commission. Ms Paul has held senior positions in education, welfare, community services, health and housing, in state and Commonwealth governments and in central and line agencies.
In 2011 Lisa was made an Officer of the Order of Australia for distinguished service to public sector leadership in key policy and program implementation, particularly through driving reform in education, employment and workplace relations.
In October 2011, Lisa received the Australia Chartered Accountants’ Federal Government Leader of the Year award.
In 2002 Lisa led the Commonwealth Government's domestic response to the Bali bombings, for which she was awarded a Public Service Medal.
As CEO, Lisa has a particular interest in organisational leadership and the links between productivity and leadership inside workplaces.
Lisa is currently a non-Executive Director of the Australian Research Alliance for Children and Youth, the Australian National Institute of Public Policy, the Advisory Council of the Australian National University Crawford School of Public Policy, the Advisory Board to the Strategic Centre for Leadership Learning and Development, and Social Ventures Australia and is a member of the Advisory Group for the Centre for Workplace Leadership, the Education Investment Fund Advisory Board, and the National Security College Advisory Board.
Lisa is a National Fellow of the Institute of Public Administration Australia, a fellow of the Australian Council for Educational Leaders, a fellow of the Australian Institute of Management, an ANU Public Policy Fellow and is a member of Chief Executive Women.
Former non-Executive roles include the Boards of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute, the Australian Research Council, the Higher Education Endowment Fund, and a Canberra women’s refuge.
- Creating great workplaces - Opinion Editorial in The Australian
- Simple philosophy plays on her mind - Australian Financial Review
- Watch the video of the Commonwealth Reconciliation Action Plan Forum
- Creating a Productive Future: social and economic challenges, policy and governance
- Economic and Social Outlook Conference
- Australian Awards for University Teaching
- AFR Higher Education Conference 2011
- Australian College of Educators
- Encouraging Innovation
- APSC Leader to Leader Series
- Financial Review Leadership Conference
- Universities Australia Speech
- Learning and Technology World Forum 2010
- Principals Forum - Student Wellbeing
- Principals Forum - Opening speech
- Transforming Australia's Education System