Secretary for Education
Lisa Paul AO PSM is the Secretary of the Commonwealth Department of Education.
The department administers the Commonwealth Government’s interests in early childhood education and care, school education, youth affairs, higher education, international education and academic research.
Lisa has been a Chief Executive for ten years across three different Secretary roles: Secretary, Department of Education, Science and Training 2004-2007; Secretary, Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations 2007-2013; and Secretary of the Department of Education since 2013.
In 2011 Lisa was made an Officer of the Order of Australia for distinguished service to public sector leadership in key policy and program implementation.
In October 2011, Lisa received the Australia Chartered Accountants’ Federal Government Leader of the Year award.
In 2003 Lisa was awarded a Public Service Medal for leading the Australian Government's domestic response to the Bali bombings.
As CEO, Lisa has a particular interest in organisational leadership and the links between productivity and leadership inside workplaces.
Lisa is currently a non-Executive Director of the Australian Research Alliance for Children and Youth, Social Ventures Australia, the Centre for Strategy and Governance Advisory Board, the Advisory Council of the Australian National University Crawford School of Public Policy, the Advisory Board to the Strategic Centre for Leadership Learning and Development and the National Security College Advisory Board.
Lisa has been a Director of the Education Investment Fund, the Australian National Institute of Public Policy Advisory Board, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, the Australian Research Council, the Higher Education Endowment Fund, the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute, the Centre for Workplace Leadership and a single women’s refuge.
Lisa is a National Fellow of the Institute of Public Administration Australia, a fellow of the Australian Council for Educational Leaders, a fellow of the Australian Institute of Management, an Australian National University Public Policy Fellow, a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and a member of Chief Executive Women.
- Management Today article: Critical thinker
- Creating great workplaces - Opinion Editorial in The Australian
- Simple philosophy plays on her mind - Australian Financial Review
- Watch the video of the Commonwealth Reconciliation Action Plan Forum
- Creating a Productive Future: social and economic challenges, policy and governance
- Economic and Social Outlook Conference
- Australian Awards for University Teaching
- AFR Higher Education Conference 2011
- Australian College of Educators
- Encouraging Innovation
- APSC Leader to Leader Series
- Financial Review Leadership Conference
- Universities Australia Speech
- Learning and Technology World Forum 2010
- Principals Forum - Student Wellbeing
- Principals Forum - Opening speech
- Transforming Australia's Education System