The RTS provides block grants, on a calendar year basis, to eligible Australian higher education providers (HEP) to support research training for students undertaking Research Doctorate and Research Masters degrees.
The objectives of the RTS are to:
- Enhance the quality of research training provision in Australia
- Improve the responsiveness of HEPs to the needs of their research students
- Encourage HEPs to develop their own research training profiles
- Ensure the relevance of research degree programs to labour market requirements
- Improve the efficiency and effectiveness of research training.
Guidelines and conditions of grant
Australian Government funding is provided through annual block grants to eligible Australian HEPs in accordance with item 8 of the table in section 41-10 of the Higher Education Support Act 2003.
The guidelines applying to the RTS are contained within the Other Grants Guidelines (Research) 2012 which can be downloaded from the Australian Government Federal Register of Legislative Instruments.
The RTS grant amounts for 2016 have been provided to HEPs on the basis of the conditions outlined in the following document:
- 2016 RTS Conditions of Grant (including student eligibility criteria)
Process for determining RTS grant amounts
The allocation of RTS funding to participating providers is based on a formula that is reflective of their overall research performance.
For more information, email: RBGrants@education.gov.au with "RTS" as the subject line.