Awards and Scholarships
Support for research
- Research Training Scheme
- Joint Research Engagement (JRE) (including JRE Cadetships)
- Research Infrastructure Block Grants
- Sustainable Research Excellence
Research funding, data collection and calculations
Participating universities receive a single annual grant amount (block) for each scheme and are responsible for administering the schemes within broad guidelines.
The Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC) controls the collection of higher education research data and is designed to ensure the Australian Government’s research block grants are allocated in a fair and transparent way and to support the policy intent of the funding.
Research Block Grants - Calculation Methodology Grant amounts under the research block grant schemes are driven entirely by metrics (one or more of research income, research publications, higher degree by research (HDR) student completions, HDR student load and staff numbers).
The Australian Competitive Grants Register (ACGR) lists schemes that provide competitive research grants to higher education providers. The income providers receive from schemes listed on the ACGR is a metric used in driving the allocation of the research block grants.
- Research Block Grant Allocations 2010-2013
- Reviews and Evaluations
- Full Cost of University Research
- Higher Education Support Act 2003 (HESA)
Administration of the RBG
The RBG is administered by:
- Research Funding and Policy Branch
- Research and Strategy Group
- Australian Government Department of Education
Enquiries can be emailed to: RBGrants@education.gov.au