The council will work with education providers, industry, and federal, state and territory governments to ensure the sector continues to play a key role in driving Australia’s future economic growth, global engagement and innovation.
With Australia’s international education sector contributing more than $19 billion a year to the economy and supporting more than 130,000 jobs, it is one of the country’s key super-growth sectors.
Council members include:
- Professor Kent Anderson - Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Community & Engagement), University of Western Australia
- Mr Brett Blacker - CEO, English Australia
- Ms Sue Freeman - CEO and Managing Director, First Impressions Resources
- The Hon Phil Honeywood - CEO, International Education Association of Australia
- Ms Tracey Horton – Incoming Chair, Navitas
- Ms Karyn Kent - CEO, StudyAdelaide
- Ms Nina Khairina - President, Council of International Students Australia
- Mr Gerald Lipman - Chief Executive, International College of Hotel Management
- Mr David Riordan - Director of City Operations, City of Sydney
- Ms Belinda Robinson - CEO, Universities Australia
- Mr Derek Scott - Principal and CEO, Haileybury
Minister Birmingham will chair the council, joined by Australian Government ministers with portfolio responsibilities in international education.
More information on the National Strategy for International Education 2025 is available.