The National Safe Schools Framework (the Framework) is a key resource now available at the Safe Schools Hub. The Framework provides school communities with a vision, a set of guiding principles and the practical tools and resources that will help build a positive school culture.
Building on the original 2003 Framework, a revised Framework was endorsed by all ministers for education in December 2010. The Australian Government collaborates with state and territory governments to support the Framework as part of a national approach to make sure our school communities are safe and supportive .
To support schools to implement the Framework the Australian Government has worked with Education Services Australia to deliver the Safe Schools Hub. The Hub is an online one-stop shop that provides school communities including teachers, school leaders, students, parents and specialist professionals with a range of safe school strategies and resources that are underpinned by the Framework.
The Framework is based on the following overarching vision:
All Australian schools are safe, supportive and respectful teaching and learning communities that promote student wellbeing.
The vision is supported by guiding principles for safe, supportive and respectful school communities. These guiding principles emphasise the importance of student safety and wellbeing for effective learning in all school settings.
- affirm the rights of all members of the school community to feel safe and be safe at school
- acknowledge that being safe and supported at school is essential for student wellbeing and effective learning
- accept responsibility for developing and sustaining safe and supportive learning and teaching communities that also fulfill the school’s child protection responsibilities
- encourage the active participation of all school community members in developing and maintaining a safe school community where diversity is valued
- actively support young people to develop understanding and skills to keep themselves and others safe
- commit to developing a safe school community through a whole-school andevidence-based approach