Child Care Rebate

The Child Care Rebate assists parents or guardians who are working, studying or training with their out of pocket child care costs. To receive the Child Care Rebate you must first claim Child Care Benefit.

The Child Care Rebate is not income tested.

If you are using approved child care for work, training or study-related reasons the Government will provide you with 50 per cent of your out-of-pocket child care costs, up to the annual cap. For the 2014-2015 income year, the Child Care Rebate annual limit is $7500 per child per year.

You may choose to receive the Child Care Rebate fortnightly, paid either directly to your bank account, or through your child care service provider as a fee reduction. You also have the option of having your Child Care Rebate paid quarterly or annually as a lump sum directly to your bank account.

When can I get my quarterly payments?

This table contains the CCR quarterly payment timelines for the 2014-2015 financial year.

CCR quarterly payment timelines for the 2014-2015 financial year
Quarter Child Care Rebate quarterly periods 2014-2015 Child Care Rebate Payment Periods 2014-2015
If parents have not received their payment within a week of the end of the relevant payment period below they may need to contact the Department of Human Services on 136 150
One 7 July 2014—5 October 2014 22 October 2014—4 November 2014
Two 6 October 2014—4 January 2015 21 January 2015—3 February 2015
Three 5 January 2015—5 April 2015 22 April 2015—5 May 2015
Four 6 April 2015—5 July 2015 27 July 2015 onwards. Tax returns for 2014-2015 financial year must have been lodged with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and attendance information received from the parent’s child care service before the final Child Care Rebate quarter can be paid.

It is important to note that you cannot get the Child Care Rebate if you use registered child care. To learn more about registered child care, please see the registered child care fact sheet.

Do you currently receive Child Care Benefit and the Child Care Rebate?

Yes - You need to inform the Department of Human Services if you wish to receive your Child Care Rebate on a fortnightly basis as a fee reduction through your child care service(s) or as a direct payment to your bank account between April and June of the current year.

If you do not nominate a Child Care Rebate payment choice you will retain your current choice, either quarterly or annually as a lump sum payment directly to your bank account.

No – You need to claim for Child Care Benefit so that you can also receive your Child Care Rebate.

How do you claim?

If you have now identified that you are eligible for Child Care Benefit but have not received it, you can claim by lodging Claim for Approved Child Care payments as an annual lump sum payment (FA011 or FA052) with Centrelink.

You now have one year instead of two years to lodge lump sum claims for Child Care Benefit.  Extensions to the one year period may be provided in special circumstances.
You must be assessed as eligible for Child Care Benefit (even at the zero rate due to your family’s income) to get the Child Care Rebate.

Want to know more?

More information is available on eligibility requirements and how to claim. If you would like to discuss your personal circumstances you can call the Department of Human Services on 136 150 or visit your nearest Centrelink Service Centre.

Information about the Child Care Rebate and the Child Care Benefit is also available in the following languages: