The Australian Government has a range of initiatives to help all Australians, particularly young people with the support of their families and communities, have access to services through and beyond school which assist them to:
- make informed choices when selecting schools, courses and post-school opportunities
- connect education and training pathways with career choices and employment prospects
- access the broad range of community services and specialist supports available to them.
Resources available to help with career planning include:
- The Job Guide providing an in-depth look at a range of occupations and education and training pathways to support people to make informed career decisions.
- The brochure has strategies for parents and carers to help them discuss the options available for further study and employment after school with their teenage children.
- Career Bullseye posters are useful tools to assist young people to make school subject selections based on what jobs they can lead to.
- The is a downloadable booklet which includes the full set of Career Bullseye posters, hints on how to use them, and a list of useful websites.
Other Career Development initiatives:
- The Information for Career Practitioners page provides information on a number of career practitioner resources, available to download or view online.
- The National Career Development Strategy is a more coherent approach to the design and development of programmes and resources that support career development.
- The Core Skills for Work Developmental Framework describes the core non-technical skills that have been identified by Australian employers as important for successful participation in work.
Want to know more?
- The My Skills website connects individuals and employers looking to undertake training with training organisations that best suit their needs.
- The MyUniversity website provides students with access to clear, meaningful and transparent information about Australia’s higher education providers.
- The Job Outlook website is a careers and labour market research information site to help individuals decide on their future career.